Monday, December 5, 2011

Top 5 Annoyingly Infectious Pop Songs

This is my Top 5 list from Episode 14. These are songs that just seem to get stuck in my head regardless of whether or not I actually like them. There are so many examples I could name, but I went with five more recent songs to narrow things down. Here are my Top 5 Annoyingly Infectious Pop Songs.

#5: Katy Perry - "Firework"









My girlfriend recently had a revelation that she genuinely loves Katy Perry. My feelings on her, however, are decidedly mixed. On the one hand, her giant freaky eyes kind of scare me and "I Kissed A Girl" is one of the most obnoxious pop songs of recent memory. On the other hand, "Last Friday Night" is actually pretty entertaining and demonstrates that Perry is self-aware and possesses a sense of humor. "Firework" is anthemic, dancy, and that "Oh oh oh!" part is catchy. So catchy that I find myself singing along to it no matter how emasculating it may be.

#4: Enrique Iglesias - "Tonight (I'm Fuckin' You)"











This song has so much swagger it's kind of hard to argue with it, as much as you really want to. I mean, that voice is just so...sexy. Well, maybe not, since it sometimes sounds like Iglesias is actually yodeling. I'm serious, listen to the song. Nevertheless, the chorus begs you to sing along with it. There is something undeniably fun and goofy about shouting "Cause tonight I'm fucking you!" at a bunch of other dudes. Don't judge me.

#3: Diddy-Dirty Money ft. Skylar Grey - "Coming Home"











I don't even have anything bad to say about this song, other than the fact that it is, of course, annoyingly infectious. But it's a great song and Skylar Grey's vocals are beautiful. The lyrics are rather more substantial than the typical pop song and Diddy's rap is pretty tight. It's a great song to sing along to in a club or bar. Plus, I really like P. Diddy ever since his performance in Get Him to the Greek. You're all being mind-fucked right now.

#2: Rihanna - "S&M"











Rihanna is the queen of writing annoyingly catch songs ever since 2007, the year when "Umbrella" just would not go away. I don't know if I can bring myself to admit that I actually like "S&M," but I find myself singing along to it regardless. The rest of the song is completely forgettable, but I'll be damned if that chorus isn't immediately gripping. I can't say that the song actually had the intended effect of shocking or offending me, but this 2011 after all and it seems to me that the topic of S&M is actually pretty mainstream now. At any rate, Rihanna did not write a song called "Run the World (Girls)," which makes her a far sight better than Beyonce in my eyes.

#1: Cee Lo Green - "Fuck You"











Sigh. It makes me sad to talk about this song now. I'm serious. I absolutely loved this song when it first came out, and for once I was actually ahead of the curve. I showed a lot of my friends the music video and got them hooked as well. It's soulful, fun, and immediately takes up residence in your brain like a parasite the first time you hear it. Then it freaking exploded. This song was everywhere, and I could not escape it. Everyone and their mom was singing it. I would often hear it in some capacity upwards of three or four times a day. A rendition of this song was performed by chickens in the recent film The Muppets. That's right - a song called "Fuck You" was included in a movie for children. It's been so played out that I can't even listen to the song anymore, and that makes me sad - because it's still a genuinely great tune.

And there you go. My Top 5 Annoyingly Infectious Pop Songs.Comment and tell me what songs get stuck in your head whether you like them or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment